Hello and welcome to the Year Five class page! My name is Miss Jackson and I am very happy to be the Year Five teacher this year alongside Mrs Cambridge and Miss Henderson who will also be supporting us all! It is our aim this year to ensure that the children’s penultimate year of primary school is the best it possibly can be, which prepares them for their final year at Holy Family!
Embarking on a new school year is daunting for all. This has been exacerbated by the pandemic which continues to make our day to day lives challenging but is slowly allowing us to return to some normality. Throughout the year, we will do everything possible to ensure the children are safe, supported and encouraged to express themselves positively and be the best they can be. I will ensure this through building strong and respectful relationships amongst the children and the adults so we can thrive in a happy and inspiring environment.
I have always felt that education is a partnership between teachers, children and parents. In order to encourage effective communication, and therefore the best learning opportunities for all, I am always available to discuss any of your concerns or questions either through the Class Dojo messaging system or by phoning the school office.
Attendance is incredibly important every year of school as even one day missed could mean lots of lost learning. Please try to support your child to be punctual but also, as we begin Upper Key Stage Two, more independent! The children will soon be the eldest in school and therefore need to set a good example to their younger peers!
Other Key Information
- Reading – I am aware that most children read independently by the time they reach year 5, however shared reading of both fiction and non-fiction with your child will encourage them to reflect and build their comprehension skills. Please set aside as much time as you can for your child to read independently or with a family member each night – each time they read at home they receive a raffle ticket. This enters them into a draw for a prize every single week. The more raffle tickets we earn, the better chances they have and the higher we go on our school leader board! Come on, Year Five!
- PE. – Currently, P.E. takes place on a Tuesday where they will need to bring their PE kit to school. Year Five are lucky enough to attend swimming on a Friday afternoon and so will need a full swimming kit on this day.
- Homework – Homework will be set on a Thursday and due the following Wednesday. As well as this, it would be useful if your child could also access the following at home as much as possible:
- Timestable Rockstars (10 minutes per day)
- Reading Plus (10 minutes per day)
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via Class Dojo or by phoning the school office to arrange a phone call or appointment.