There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning. 1 Corinthians 14:10
At Holy Family and St Michael’s we use the Language Angels scheme of work and resources to ensure we offer a relevant, broad, vibrant and ambitious foreign languages curriculum that will inspire and excite our pupils using a wide variety of topics and themes. All pupils will be expected to achieve their full potential by encouraging high expectations and excellent standards in their foreign language learning – the ultimate aim being that pupils will feel willing and able to continue studying languages beyond key stage 2.
The four key language learning skills; listening, speaking, reading and writing will be taught and all necessary grammar will be covered in an age-appropriate way across the primary phase. This will enable pupils to use and apply their learning in a variety of contexts, laying down solid foundations towards becoming life-long language learners.
- All our children have regularly taught and well-planned weekly lessons following the Language Angels scheme of work and resources.
- Children are exposed to Spanish from Foundation Stage onwards to prepare them for Spanish in Key Stage Two.
- Pupils will continuously build on their previous knowledge as they progress in their foreign language learning journey. Previous language will be recycled, revised, recalled and consolidated whenever possible and appropriate.
- Each unit and lesson has clearly defined objectives and aims.
- Each lesson incorporates interactive whiteboard materials to include ample speaking and listening tasks within a lesson.
- Lessons will incorporate challenge sections and desk-based activities that will be offered will three levels of stretch and differentiation.
- Reading and writing activities are offered in all units.
- Every unit will include a grammar concept, which will increase in complexity as pupils move from Early Language units, through Intermediate units and into Progressive.
- The opportunity to assess pupil learning and progression in the key language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) and against the 12 DfE Languages Programme of Study for Key Stage 2 attainment targets is provided at the end of each 6-week teaching unit.
We expect that the children at Holy Family and St Michaels’ will leave Year 6 speaking Spanish with increasing confidence and fluency. The children will be able to write for different purposes and audiences in Spanish and most children will achieve age related expectations by the end of the year. If pupils are not progressing in line with expectations, this will be identified in the End of Unit Skills Assessments provided in the Language Angels Tracking & Progression Tool. This will enable teachers to put in place an early intervention programme to address any areas that require attention in any of the language learning skills.
Please see links below for the Whole School Spanish Overview and Progression documents for this area of the curriculum: