At Holy Family and St Michael’s the pupils arrive at school with poor mathematical skills. Therefore we will provide;
- A high quality maths curriculum that is both challenging and enjoyable.
- A variety of mathematical opportunities, which will enable them to make the connections in learning needed to enjoy greater depth in learning.
- Opportunities for pupils to take mathematical risks
- Opportunities for learners to have secure mathematical foundations
Maths is a journey and long-term goal, achieved through exploration, clarification, practice and application. At each stage of learning, children should be able to demonstrate a deep, conceptual understanding of the topic and be able to build on this over time.
- To use a good quality mathematics program that is taught with consistency.
- Long, medium and short term planning that is progressive and cohesive across the year groups and provides opportunities to revisit. Teachers teach lessons that are designed on the principle of “Pictorial, Concrete and Abstract” and we provide quality first teaching in line with the teaching standards
- To develop a love of maths across school.
- To ensure the momentum in early mathematical development continues into KS2.
- To provide a curriculum that is ambitious for all, including Pupil Premium, SEN and EAL Pupils.
Children will be able to:
- Quick recall of facts and procedures
- The flexibility and fluidity to move between different contexts and representations of mathematics.
- The ability to recognise relationships and make connections in mathematics
A mathematical concept or skill has been mastered when a child can show it in multiple ways, using the mathematical language to explain their ideas, and can independently apply the concept to new problems in unfamiliar situations. This will be assessed through assessment, tracking, pupil progress meetings, performance management, moderation and standardisation
Due to the COVID outbreak we have altered our maths curriculum to accommodate for lost learning- find details here Recovery Curriculum