History and Geography will be led in alternative blocks throughout a term so that the children can delve deeper into their learning and build their knowledge or skills from the previous lesson. They will have the opportunity to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills which will help them on the road to becoming confident, young geographers and historians.
To see our teaching and learning overview and the progression of History throughout school please click here. .
To see our teaching and learning overview and the progression of Geography throughout school please click here.
You can support your child in history and geography by:
- Talking to them about any local significant events that will become local history e.g. Tour De Yorkshire and the blowing up of the cooling towers in Ferrybridge.
- Giving them the opportunity to experience local events that will become history.
- Talking to them about any history that you can remember.
- Carrying out shared research with your child and sharing an interest.
- Sharing geographical knowledge and skills when travelling around e.g. discussing land marks, using maps and compasses, discussing where places are, the countries that make up Great Britain and where our capital city is located and what it is called.
- Discuss any significant national news and events and compare this with our country if possible.